In 1601, Tokugawa Ieyasu, the founder of the Tokugawa Shogunate, ordered all the feudallords in Western Japan to contribute to the construction of Nijō Castle, which was completed during the reign of Tokugawa Iemitsu in 1626. Parts of Fushimi Castle, such as the main tower and the karamon, were moved here in 1625-26. It was built as the Kyoto residence of the Tokugawa Shoguns. The Tokugawa Shogunate used Edo as the capital city, but Kyotocontinued to be the home of the Imperial Court.
Today, the grounds consist of Ninomaru Palace and two rings of fortifications, along with gardens.
The entrance of Nijo Castle is a short walk from Nijojo-mae Station on the Tozai Subway Line.
Editorial Review: 😃
It’s nothing glamorous, but it’s worth making the castle part of a series of visits in the area.